A Call to Action:
The 2015 Parliament of the World's Religions
Nearly 10,000 people representing 50 faiths attended this year's Parliament, taking part in discussions focused on ending violence, tackling climate change and addressing income inequality. The gathering also featured its first Women’s Assembly addressing religion’s role in empowering women and its responsibility for dignity and human rights of women.
Among those attending were more than 35 ChI students, alumni, staff, faculty and friends, said to be the second largest contingent at the event.
The Parliament is more than a convening of religious leaders from around the world. It is a call to action on the essential issues of our time: climate change; war, violence, and hate speech; income inequality; the dignity and human rights of women; solidarity with indigenous communities; and empowering young, emerging leaders.
The ChI Interfaith Community is exploring how our collective, committed, prayerful action can create positive and lasting social change around the world by addressing these issues. We invite you to join us!
Below are Declarations that arose from the 2015 Parliament of World Religions that outline the scope of these crises along with recommended actions to address them. Please read them, reflect on them, and, as you feel so inspired, sign them and make your own personal commitments regarding the declarations.
We invite you to make this journey with us as together we foster peace, justice, and sustainability.
Click here to see and sign all the Declarations.
These are links to each individual declaration.
Please contact ChI's Community Minister, if you would like to help:
- Create a safe, joyful space in which others can gather together to discuss the Parliament declarations and tangible next steps
- Form a response to Climate Change, to Hate Speech and Violence, or to one of the other Parliament Declarations
The ChI Parliament Newsletter
As those of us who attended the Parliament of the World's Religions in October 2015 continue to reflect on how we might carry forward its harmonious energy, moving presentations, and crucial declarations, ChI wants to share the totality of our experiences and invites you to join us as we respond to the Parliament.
At this time we proudly present the ChI Parliament Newsletter, a collaborative compendium of pictures, stories , comments, photos and videos from many of the more than 35 members of The ChI Community who attended. The newsletter can be accessed by clicking on the link below.
Parliament 2015 Newsletter
We want to express our deep gratitude to everyone who contributed to making this newsletter a reality. Special thanks to:
- Rev. Jan Thomas for her amazing dedication and skilled work collecting and synthesizing the information shared from our ChI Parliament attendees
- Rev. April Bolin for her many beautiful photos
- Seminarian Lisa Winston for arranging the newsletter document and adding photos
- Rev. Dr. Gina Rose Halpern with the assistance of Rev. Jen Bernstein for organizing and hosting a post-Parliament gathering of ChI Community.