Tuesday, July 18th, at 4pm Pacific
OPEN TO ALL!
Join us to explore facets and frontiers of spirituality through an innovative and interfaith lens with the ChI Community.
“Allyship & Compassion: Supporting the LGBTQ+ Community in a Time of Renewed Oppression” Co-Sponsored by Shelter for the Spirit and an approved Parliament of World Religions Pre-Event.
This will be a panel discussion with Rev. Rivka Gevurtz, Rev. Rika Casseres, Lia Nagase, Rev. Jess Shine, and friends.
As chaplains and spiritual directors, we attend to the needs of marginalized communities. Right now in the US, there are over 520 pieces of legislation in 47 states trying to roll back LGBTQ+ rights; particularly those of trans youth, their families, teachers, and doctors. In this conversation, we will look at the current climate and discuss ways for clergy and lay folk can support the LGBTQ+ community and stand in solidarity with those we serve. This online event will feature a panel discussion of chaplains and future chaplains who have lived experience as part of the LGBTQ+ community &/or parent of a trans youth, followed by a Q&A with attendees.
Rev. Rivka Gevurtz
Rivka is a member of ChI’s core faculty, overseeing the Sacred Justice Ministry thread. She is also in private practice at Shelter For the Spirit offering spiritual direction, lifecycle events, and teachings, through the lens of religious wounding. She is a cis bi woman, married to a trans man and mother of a nonbinary young adult.
Rev. Rika Casseres
Rika is a daughter of the African diaspora, a mother, a grandmother, an interfaith minister, and a spiritual director. She draws upon these lineages and experiences in my work as a Spiritual Director and interfaith minister. Rika uses traditional non-directive spiritual direction practices as well as shamanic approaches to spiritual witnessing.
Rev. Jess Shine
The Reverend Jess Shine, MDiv (they/them/elle) served most recently as Associate Minister at First Congregational UCC in Eugene, OR. Jess earned degrees in theology and divinity, but says, “I still haven’t figured out how to walk on water.” Jess is a descendant of Mexican, Indian, and Northwestern European immigrants. Their spirituality began in childhood and continues through expansive relationships, reading, music, wine, travel, theological processing, sports, and food! Shine co-hosted a podcast on death and dying called “Done For” (available on iTunes, Google, and at doneforpodcast.com). They have written for ProgressiveChristianity.org and ProgressingSpirit.org, and serve as CHI Seminary Guest Faculty. Jess celebrates life with their wife, Deshna (an ordained interfaith chaplain), bonus daughter Kaila, and their four-legged friends.
Lia Nagase (she/ella) is an interfaith seminarian at The Chaplaincy Institute, as well as a student of interspiritual companioning and counseling program at One Spirit Learning Alliance. She is beginning her practicum and ministry, called Kintsugi Community (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Parliament of the World’s Religions Pre-Event and co-Sponsored by Shelter For The Spirit
- This event is brought to you by The Chaplaincy Institute, an Interfaith Seminary & Community. ChI Talks is Co-Sponsored this month by Shelter For The Spirit, an interfaith spiritual practice. This event is also an approved pre-event of the 2023 Parliament of the World’s Religions.
- Parliament of the World’s Religions pre-events provide people from all over the world the opportunity to get a “taste” of the Parliament experience by highlighting local interfaith activity and understanding while showcasing what makes Parliament Convenings so engaging: people coming together to celebrate each other’s culture and traditions. Learn more about The Parliament of the World’s Religions happening on August 14 -18 in Chicago, Illinois.
- Register in advance for this meeting. After registering, you will receive a confirmation email containing information about joining the meeting.
- See past events on our YouTube Playlist here.
- Can’t make it? Sign up for a one-on-one consultation here. Register today!